Reduce Your Waste by Pre-cycling
Pre-cycling is the most effective waste reduction strategy and refers to reducing the amount, or the toxicity, of your waste BEFORE you generate it. Try these pre-cycling tips:
- Take reusable canvas or cloth bags with you when you shop. Americans are now using billions of plastic bags each year, a majority of which end up in the landfill.
- Have your name removed from mailing lists to reduce junk mail. Go to:
- Rent or borrow items you rarely use, and share with neighbors and friends.
- Avoid wasteful impulse buying. Stick to your list and your budget.
- Purchase products in bulk. This not only saves you money, but it can save packaging waste.
- Also look to purchase refillable and recyclable packages.
- Avoid preparing too much food. Freeze or give away your leftovers.
- Choose non-toxic alternatives to hazardous products. Learn more here.
- Ditch disposables (diapers, batteries, cameras, dust mops, paper towels, napkins, paper plates, paper cups); this is a money saver as well.